Pursuing net zero carbon emissions
WE REDUCE OUR OPERATIONAL EMISSIONS BY INTRODUCING LOWER ENERGY EQUIPMENT AND INCREASING OUR USE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY; AND EMISSIONS IN OUR VALUE CHAIN BY ADAPTING OUR MENUS TO PROVIDE MORE PLANT-BASED MEALS.
TARGET: By 2040 achieve net zero carbon emissions. In support of this, we will set science-based targets in line with a 1.5-degree scenario.
WE WILL MINIMIZE THE IMPACT OF NEW RESTAURANT CONSTRUCTION AND ADAPT OUR APPROACH BASED ON AIRPORT AND BRAND REQUIREMENTS.
Select partners who share our passion for sustainability.
• Select architects and other contractors familiar with LEED Certification.
• Select partners who employ green building standards to ensure sustainability is an integral part of the design and build process
Increase water efficiency and reduce burden on municipal water supply and wastewater systems.
• Install high-efficiency grease interception units on all new plumbing systems to prevent grease and oil from being introduced into municipal water systems.
• Install water efficient equipment labeled EPA WaterSense®.
Develop and implement strategies to reduce energy consumption.
• Develop energy efficient lighting systems using LED lighting fixtures and lighting controls.
• Select ENERGY STAR®®appliances and equipment and refrigerators which use hydrocarbon refrigerant.
• Take advantages of opportunities to utilize natural daylight in the space.
• Lower energy usage though HVAC efficiency and implementation of controls.
Minimize indoor contaminants and air quality.
• Select GREENGUARD Gold Certification, FloorScore®, and other certified products with low chemical emissions (VOCs).
• Utilize HIPA filtration to ensure dust and particulates do not escape.
• Source surface materials that prevent mold and bacteria.
• Avoid chlorofluorocarbon-based refrigerants in new heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration systems.
• Include efficient exhaust systems which offer containment of air impurities.
Procure materials which minimize environmental impact.
• Utilize materials made from recycled content and rapidly renewable bio-based content.
• Source wood materials that are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
• Use materials and products extracted, harvested, recovered, or manufactured within the region.
• Encourage the use of products and materials for which life-cycle information is available and that have environmentally, economically, and socially preferable
• Select furniture which meets the sustainability standards of the American National Standards Institute and Business + Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association.
Create a Maintenance Plan
• Prepare and maintain a current facilities operations and maintenance plan that contains the information necessary to operate the building/space efficiently.
Reduce construction and demolition waste disposed of in landfills and incineration facilities
• Recover, reuse, and recycle materials to every extent possible.
• Work with contractors to create a construction and demolition waste management plan.
Use environmentally considerate cleaning products and janitorial products to maintain the finished space.
Create recycling programs which minimize the amount of waste sent to landfills and confirm to airport policies.
Design and install recycling counters or zones which includes three-step trash systems for front of house and back of house.
Reducing, reusing, and recycling our packaging
WE ELIMINATE UNNECESSARY SINGLE-USE PLASTIC AND MOVE OUR OWN BRAND PACKAGING TO BE RECYCLABLE, REUSABLE, OR COMPOSTABLE.
TARGET: By 2025 remove unnecessary single-use plastic packaging and move all packaging used in own brands to recyclable, reusable or compostable.
Reducing food waste
WE REDUCE FOOD WASTE AT ALL STAGES OF OUR BUSINESS AND ENSURE THAT UNSOLD FOOD IS DONATED TO THOSE WHO NEED IT.
TARGET: By 2022 80% of own brands recycle waste cooking oil.
TARGET: By 2025 donate unsold food to charity.
TARGET: By 2025 where unsold food isn’t discounted or donated, divert from landfills.